19 Sep 2013
Session 3: Regional Cooperation and Reconciliation in the Western Balkans: Continuation or Stalemate
(in cooperation with the Ministry of Defence and Sports of the Republic of Austria)
- Has regional cooperation become the responsibility of regional actors or is it still mainly pushed by external actors?
- In which fields does regional cooperation function well, and in which sectors do larger deficits still exist?
- What has been the experience regarding the role of international partners in supporting consolidation?
- What are the remaining obstacles for substantial cooperation? How should they be dealt with?
- Is social reconciliation a precondition for good regional cooperation or is political normalization enough?
- Specific challenges in regard to inter-state, intra-state and inter-ethnic reconciliation.
Johann Pucher‚ Defence Policy Director, Austrian Federal Ministry of Defence and Sports
Franz Lothar Altmann‚ Center for Applied Policy Research, University of Munich
Valbona Zeneli‚ Professor, College of International and Security Studies, George C. Marshall Center
Predrag Jureković‚ Senior researcher, Institute for Peace Support and Conflict Management, National Defence Academy, Austrian Armed Forces (Moderator)